Friday, January 6, 2017

Trek to Town.....


Yesterday I had to head to town, meaning Hannibal, MO which is around 20 miles away.  No big deal, but two inches of snow and very cold make it just.  People don't always seem to be able to drive in any amount of snow, and yet I am told that they "used" to get much more snow before I moved here some 26 years ago.  Really, then they should know how to drive, right.  No, because I saw several vehicles off the road and others sliding as I carefully drove to town, on some steep hills to visit a friend and in downtown Hannibal where it was not plowed.

The day was good, and went as planned, with a wonderful stop at my favorite quilt store, and voted one of the top 10 in the nation some years back.  The Hickory Stick had just opened for the day and as I planned it that way, Nancy was free to help me with two wool applique projects, collecting all the needed colors, backing and threads.  It was so much fun visiting and picking things out.  It was as if we were doing the project together.  We did this for 1.5 hours, with no other customers, only the store owner, Pat coming in.  I so enjoyed this time and Nancy said she did also, wanting me to bring in the finished projects to share with her.  Now, bad weather/road issues, and getting there when they opened at 10:00 made a great plan work even better.

Next I hit the Mississippi Marketplace..lots of interesting things, bulk items and specialty items.  I purchased my very good vanilla, some Amish popcorn, and good molasses plus a small package of sesame seed sticks (yummy treat).  Off than to the Brick Oven for a wonderful brick oven baked pizza and a tall glass of purified water.  I don't do the Hannibal water as it comes out of the Mississippi.  Icky.  

My hair appointment was at Penneys and I enjoy Michelle's talent so much.  I swung through Penneys store and purchased a nice $48.00 sweater I had looked at previously but today bought it for $14.00.  Hair and visit went well, off to get a few groceries and pick up some medication at CVS.  

Now my treat of the day, even if all the others were grand on their own.  I got to go up steep hills, snow covered and visit my friend, Hilly, who lives in a vintage house on millionaire road in Hannibal...Fifth Avenue.  She lives in a double house, lives in one side and rents out the other.

A big Hello and hug, taking off my coat, and sitting for a bit to talk about family, politics, our country and love of it, and also much about reading and knitting.  We both have circular knitting machines for socks and it is always interesting to see what one is doing.  She also had a lovely shawl she had just finished.  We discussed gardening even if it was snowing and cold...why...because Hilly and I always discuss gardening.
 Hilly at Folklife Festival fall of 2014 in Hannibal in her booth demonstrating her antique circular sock machine.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! I think quilting shops always have the best names. Oh and I completely adore the Amish and Mennonite. Many live near my area and they bake the best bread. If you arrive early around 6 am then you sometimes hear them sing in a somber harmony. As for driving in the snow, I stay at home. I haven't had much experience at it and trust me it is better for everyone's safety.

    I have never seen a circular machine like that. Very interesting post and thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day! I think quilting shops always have the best names. Oh and I completely adore the Amish and Mennonite. Many live near my area and they bake the best bread. If you arrive early around 6 am then you sometimes hear them sing in a somber harmony. As for driving in the snow, I stay at home. I haven't had much experience at it and trust me it is better for everyone's safety.

    I have never seen a circular machine like that. Very interesting post and thanks for sharing your day!

    ReplyDelete