Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January in Rural Northeast Missouri....


One never knows about the weather anywhere they live, because we are not in control of it for one thing.  But I know that most places I have lived I could count on some winter and other seasons when they were suppose to happen.  I have lived in a number of states to claim this fact.  Here in Missouri, and I have lived here 27 years now, well, it is different.

We had snow last week and it stayed on because than the temp went down to almost zero.  Then a few days into that, it went up into the 40's and now almost 60 today.  But tomorrow it is to be 30 again and tonight and for several days rain.  What I think I am trying to say is we have had spring, winter, fall weather all in a matter of a week and a half.  

Now, do I mind.  Well, it makes life interesting in what coats I will wear outside on my lovely walks to enjoy the nature and beauty of my country life.  Other than that, well, I am retired, and if it is rainy, snowy, icy and I do not want to drive somewhere, then I just don't.  So I really do not pay much attention to what weather is coming, only what presents itself for my current day.  It is, of course, often a great surprise.  

Do I like it.  I would like more snow, but I do live in Missouri, not Wisconsin or Colorado.  I enjoy the sunshine unlike when I lived in Indiana where it was cloudy lots of the time.  I do not care for the humidity, but it seemed worse in North Carolina.  So each place has advantages.  I just learn to enjoy my life, especially country life.

While out walking today, I try to do 4-5 miles a day, I was thinking about just that, "country life", and decided that you can have a country life style even in town, because you can garden a little patch, have flowers all over your porch, take walks in parks, and go camping, kayaking, etc.  Now, do I want to do that.  Well NO NO.  I have fields and woods around me, not houses and people.  I can enjoy nature right from my own spot.  But, if you live in town, please get out and have a "country life style".  It is good for the soul I believe when we are close to nature.

1 comment:

  1. I too like to walk in Nature but today I went to the gym for water aerobics. I also was able to enjoy two hours extra with my son due to the school delay. I have always felt that we we connect to nature, it makes us more mindful and grateful. We can also learn simple lessons too. Like the stray cat that leaves a bit of cat food for the Starling or resting a bit more in Winter. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete