Saturday, January 28, 2017

Challenge Myself.....


Do you believe that if you stay stagnant, you just grow older?   I tend to believe that and as of late, I have felt a bit older.  I have been sick for over a week now and it just brings me down.  But, as I feel some better each day now, I have been challenging myself.  It may be a challenge to just "undust" the furniture, or walk outside a little bit or throw out a pile of magazines.  It may be a challenge to finally fix a better meal instead of soup and sandwiches.  Actually one night we had mac and cheese and fried spam.   Wow, for this person who prides herself on being a wonderful cook, I sure can slip fast.

Challenging comes in more forms than what I mentioned above.  I need to challenge myself to set boundaries with people who I do not want to set boundaries with because they are my family, husband, and children and grandchildren.  Challenge myself to say no more and yes to myself more often.  Challenge myself to expect more respect from them. 

Challenging goes to what I do also.  Do I just keep doing the same things, or learn new things.  I am a learner and you might saw I have "learned" that about myself.  So I have to challenge myself with the difficult things I have wanted to learn, more of my FRENCH, more of my wool applique work, more writing.  

Some people who are city dwellers probably think that I challenge myself enough by living in the country.  Some actually have never come for a visit because they think I live "too" far out in the country.  My comment to that is maybe they are not as good a friend as I thought.  But living in the country brings challenge and joy.  I challenged myself late last year to be home more and for weeks at a time so I can focus on my things in a better way.  I am enjoying that challenge.  That challenge makes people I know think I am becoming a hermit or recluse.  To each their own thoughts, but my thoughts are of days with the dogs, the freedom to do what I want and to listen to birds and the breeze in the trees.

So life is a challenge and even if I am 68, I will challenge myself to do all I can as I get to feeling better.  I challenge myself to be me, a country person who enjoys her own company.  Okay, I talk to myself a lot, but if someone sees me, I could say I am talking to the dogs.  In actuality, I even talk to the birds and the trees and the bees........

Challenge yourself right were you are at, and if you feel really courageous, I challenge you to spend more time in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment