Saturday, December 3, 2016

Memories and Times Gone By....


Making up most of our lives are a wide range of memories.  They can be in the form of a passing thought, or be triggered by a picture, a conversation, or even an item in your possess.  

Many of those memories are all throughout my country eclectic home.  Everyday things, and then during holiday seasons when I am putting away and putting up decor.

With my collection of nativity sets there are many from other places I have traveled or family have purchased with or for me.  I enjoy each one, treasuring my times with them each year that I get them displayed for the holidays. 

One special nativity set is not the largest, most expensive, from a far land like Africa, or a special trip to an Native American PowWow in South Dakota.  This set is simply a small clear glass set of Joseph, Mary, Jesus, and three wise men and they are set on a round small mirror.  The set goes so tidy away in its small box.  It is special because it was from my friend Wanda many years ago. 

Being new to the farming community which is hard to break into in rural Missouri...anywhere in Missouri is hard to break into.  I say this with experience of moving and living many places, all of which I was much more welcomed.  Anyway, not to side track too much....Wanda, about two years into my being here gave me this simple inexpensive set, probably from Dollar General or Big Lots, but elegant in it's own way.  I have always placed it somewhere as it always fits in a "somewhere" place.  

My two oldest grandchildren lived with us several times with their mother also.  They were always helpful to do Christmas decorating with me.  They also knew that this set was one they could play with if they were careful.  So one night when their mother had washed their stuffed animals they slept with, my grandson looked around for something to sleep with.  Because he liked this nativity set and knew he could play with it, he just picked up a piece and rushed down the hall to bed, saying, "I like the Virgin Mary."  Now to him it was nothing, but us adults looked at each other and had a good smile and laugh later.

To this day I recall that memory and cherish it.  I also especially this year cherish this simplest set the best this year because my friend, Wanda passed away October 30th.  In fact her husband, Bud, passed away October 1st and then she soon followed.  

Blessings of good memories from family and friends and adventures, words, stories and treasures of little simple things.

Please go around your house and see what memories you come up with of people and places and thoughts.   I know that all the times I moved in my first marriage, at times those special little things from friends near to me helped me through and I cannot say I was lonely , but just treasured the thoughts and was ready to make new memories where I was now placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment