Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dogs.....


Did you ever consider why you like your dogs (cats, rats, etc.) so much?  I sometimes wonder how I feel about people at times, but I know how I feel about my dogs, all of them.  I have five,  four doxies, and then my wonderful Daisy Mae, a foxhound.  I have always felt close to all my animals, horses and goats included, but my dogs have always had that softest spot in my heart.  I have had doxies most of my life, starting with Heidi, a wonderful black and tan.  So when I was able to get another dog and went to purchase a black female scotty, I was not surprised at myself for coming home with a male black and tan doxie that I had already decided to name Hans Peter, calling him Petie.  I must say my husband was a little surpised when he saw him, and said, "He sure does not look like a scotty and is not even a female!"  My husband has always been very preceptive about things.

My Petie dog has brought out such silliness from me.  I have put up with lots of bad behaviors, bad health, and issues with bad attitudes at times also.  He is now 15 years old, so yes, I have put up with it, and still hug him and call him my "sweety", and tell him how much I love him.  I admit I have my times when I think....how long can "you" live, and well, it is more then 15 as he turned 15 on December 6. I have grown so close to Petie that at times I actually call him by the wrong name.  It is not sweety, etc., but I call him, and even yell at him by the name "Brook", my son's name.  Now I wonder, is it because of the love of my first born child, or did I have to call Brook one time to many when he was growing up, or yell at him too often.  My son, now 45, does get a kick out of me calling Petie Brook, but not when I am yelling at him for "pottying" on the floor.  Really, I must watch what I am saying.  I say, I have gotten beyong silly with my dogs.

Then we got Chloe, who we lost to cancer last year at age 12.  She was such a sweet and little girl.  She played so much with Petie and with our two oldest grandchildren who lived with us at the time.  Now that explains it for me, as with Chloe, as with Petie, I started calling her a family name of a "family people" and it was Gywn, my oldes granddaughter.  Again, did I have to yell or call Gwyn too much.

I really don't think I can blame my family on my "name calling"  I love family and love my dog family.  It seems that sometimes personalities of people and animals mesh.  I am thinking I need to be careful who I call what these days.  I don't want to hurt feelings.  I have many special grandchildren and grown children.  Are they jealous they don't get put in the "dog address" by this silly smitten dog lover.  I hope not. 

Now my Daisy Mae, foxhound, I have yet to call by any family people name.  I call her Daisy Mae or Daisy Dog, or sweety, or my baby.  In fact, my husband just got me a nice warm sweatshirt with dog prints and "My Baby Has Four Legs" written on it.  Now I like the saying as she is my baby, but the dog prints we could have furnished ourselves.  I think my husband understands how this affection goes at our house.  I love them all, but do adore and am smitten by my dogs, who don't agrue back, are always happy to see me and don't even care if I get out of my pjs. or not. 

I admit that I am one country lady who is hoping as I grow older, I don't start calling my people by my dogs names.....I can just see my daughter Leslie's face if I call her Daisy, as she is the one who wanted me to name my dear dog Daisy Mae and I did.  If I do, Leslie, please know it is a very nice compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment