Sunday, June 17, 2018

EVERYONE NEEDS A "MOM"

Our local Humane Society covers six counties in Northeast Missouri, thus called NEMO Humane Society.  It does a great job, limited funds, old building site with being there 40 years now.  They have  given help and homes to many animals through those years and done the best they can with what they have.  I am one recipient of their service.  My Daisy Mae Foxhound came from there when she was rescued from death in a drainage ditch as a young puppy.  She came home with me when she was eight weeks old.  Such a joy.  Then Hemingway to follow after my loss of dear Daisy Mae.  Hemingway was followed by Mr. Molesley.  Vincent came through a friend who could not keep this puppy they had five days, but he was on his way to the NEMO Humane Society.  Recently, actually last week, we got little ten year old Chico, a chihuahua.  NEMOHS notified me that this little guy, aged but great, less some teeth, needed a good older person home as we had lost his mom, an older lady.  He is a blessing to us and our other crew of guys...now numbering four.  But they are little!

Chico is not quite ten pounds, grey haired and no fault of his, had to get a new home as his mom was elderly and had had a recent fall.  She could no long care for herself let alone Chico.  Apparently no family could take or would take him, but the staff knew that they could find him an appropriate home.  After researching what they had sent me, we went down to the shelter and signed up to be his "forever" home.

He could not come home for a few days as he had to spend time at the vet getting all shots and getting neutered at age 10.  Wow, I was concerned for this little guy, but he seems to be doing fine.  He also has that Chihuahua attitude of being a BIG DOG and holds his own with my yorkie, maltese, and Italian greyhound.  He has been welcomed in and continues to heal from his surgery.  I know in my heart that he continues to heal from his lack of his only known mom.  My job and gift is to become that new mom for him.  It seems to be going well as he likes lots of lap time, pets and hugs.  He follows me around and plays some with the other dogs.  He is enjoying his big yard and has learned to go in and out the dog door.  He is sleeping better at night and eating some better.  

Like people, it does matter our history as to our future.  He had a good past history and I believe it is making it easier for him to adjust to another chance at a new home and continued good life.  My other dogs did not have a good past history, with abandonment, neglect and mistreatment.  However, with all four of them, they seem to be such grateful little guys to have a good home.

If you can find it in your ability to share some of your life and resources with a needy animal, I just want you to know that they do appreciate it .  They show it in so many ways, maybe even a kiss and tail wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment