Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Learning Life Long

This 68 year old brain gets a work out and I do believe that it is good for me.  I like the challenge and also take some pride and accomplishment when I learn something new.

Recently I finished handquilting my handpieced Grandma's Flower Garden quilt and now started to do the binding.  I had to figure out how I was going to work with this jagged edge quilt.  So I am hand stitching it all around, folding the edges as I go. I did 28 edges of single hexagons but have lots more to do.  I have worked hard on this quilt and wanted to do the last part, binding also by hand but did not want to have to do front and back of quilt so figured out for myself how to do it.  My way and a learning process.

On one trip to Barnes and Nobles I purchased FRENCH Rosetta Stone.  It is a slow process but I try to work on it some each week.  What it really takes is doing it every day, but that does not happen for me.  It is slow and days I feel confuses, but at Thanksgiving I was able to say a few things to my family in FRENCH.  It all amazes me and why or why do we not teach our children in kindergarten to start speaking another language.  My challenge was that I believe we should be bi-lingual so if I believe that, well, I should be.

Baking bread is a learning process and through the years I baked because I likes homemade bread for my family.  These days it is the same, I like it, but I am into the special breads now.  I bake rye, pumpernickel, baguettes, artisans, soda, etc.  I learn each time something that I should do better the next time.  At Thanksgiving there were no canned rolls, or quick breads or purchased rolls warmed up.  It was my artisan fresh bread that I made that morning before putting the turkey in the oven.

Life is a process of learning so I encourage you to not give in to thinking you can not because you reach a certain age.  Just think of all the marvels of this world we live in, and get at learning.

I am off now to put my lesson on the television which is a college course I am doing from Great Courses.  They are reasonable in price and fun to do, so many topics.  I don't need the credits as I have my degrees, but I still feel I need the knowledge.

Go deeper in your thinking by keeping open to learn new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment