Wednesday, May 23, 2018

FIRST STRAWBERRIES ON 2018


About five years ago two of my grandson's, my son's wonderful boys, and my husband planted a three tiered strawberry patch for me.  I had taken out the big garden and also the large strawberry patch which was getting old.  My desire was to go smaller.  Thus for my birthday one year they made this lovely patch.  I enjoy having the tiers as it makes it easier to pick.

Yesterday, 5-22-2019, I picked my first "pint" of berries.  They are small, but sweet and delicious.  It is fun to was them in the neat new container, ceramic, that I picked them in.  Funny story when I purchased this at Hobby Lobby a few days ago, an older man stuck up a conversation with me about what I was going to pick in it.  I nicely told him about my patch and that it would be fun to use it.  He continued on talking when I had a sense that he was flirting with me.  I just smiled and said, "Nice talking with you."  I am 70 and this boosted my spirits, but I also walked out of Hobby Lobby with a neat purchase that made me smile, that day and when I used it to pick, and wash my berries in.

The best part is that I took my freshly cleaned berries and mashed them with some sugar, scooped out two dishes of vanilla ice cream and had this lovely treat along with fresh warm homemade bread with good butter on for lunch....with my husband of many years.  He conversed and licked his lips, saying how blessed we are to have our own berries.  Be they littler then store berries, but they are also much tastier, and all organic!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment