Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Heat Is On


What an interesting summer this has been.  I have enjoyed having rain showers just as I thought I may need to water.  I have enjoyed cooler weather both for working in the yard and also camping.  But now, August ending, and children back to school, the heat is on.  Wow, in the 90's for most coming days for awhile.  Even at  night, warmth.

Hot weather does not cause me to put up my hands and say, no, I cannot do this or that.  I still take care of the yard, doing the mowing and weedeating myself this season as my husband is battling lymphoma.  He just finished his last chemo today, and will have some scans and then six (five day) weeks of radiation, with a prognosis of survival up to two years.  We will gladly take what we can get.  Oh, back to the yard.  I sorely, and I mean muscles appreciate him time and energy for so many years in keeping our three acres we live on looking good.  Oh, I was also very proud of myself walking out of Farm and Home, with my nice weedeater, more my size, but still able to get those tough weeds down.
It helps me use muscles I had not used in some time.

Our garden is doing okay.  I have already dug all the potatoes, 60 hills, and tilled up that area.  I have taken out all the melons, some good and many rotting due to the moisture.  I took out summer squash, which was wonderful this year. The tomatoes and peppers continue to grow, but my cucumbers are just finishing.  For the fruit, I have harvested one peach tree and one side of the grape arbor.  It is a great plan to plant different types of fruit that bear at different times.  I still have another large peach tree and more grapes to harvest, plus two very full apple trees.  My daughter in love likes to help with that.  A plus this year is making grape jelly to give to all the wonderful people we have gotten to know at the cancer center. 

The weather often was too cool for the pool, but it definately is being enjoyed this week.  I actually got in lots of swimming.  It felt good for these sore and over worked muscles to get some "floating" exercise and relaxing.  I have learned to care for the pool, things I did not already do.  It is good to have knowledge of things and I do appreciate having a pool out here in the country.

Daisy and I continue to camp, as it is my little retreat from "cancer" time.  I plan my times round Roy's schedule with doctors and how he is feeling.  I try to get some of my work load done before going and then finish up after.  This past week I was pleasantly surprised to come home to a mowed yard...thanks to my son who finally sees how tired his mom has gotten, and has pledged to mow each week for me.  I can tell you that I was worn down as the first night of camping, to bed at 8:00 and finished reading by 9:00 and slept until 9:52a.m. the next morning.  Even my Daisy Dog let me sleep long and hard....worn out I believe, but thankful for the reprieve of going "glamping" with my dear friend, Daisy.

No comments:

Post a Comment