Tuesday, August 26, 2014

SEASONS


As I walked with my Daisy Mae on this hot and humid summer day in Northeastern Missouri, I said to Daisy....I talk to her all the time....so don't think it crazy.  She is a good listener because she is a smart foxhound.  Anyway, I said that surely fall was coming.  I even worked inside getting ready.  I dusted and sorted and dug in my bureau and doily drawers and got out all my fall decor. 

Now the fireplace mantel is adorned with crocheted and knit pumpkins and varigated corns which are also knit.  I have a vase with silk sunflowers.  All are placed on a nice fall quilted runner.  The antique bureau is the host home for my collection of Native American figurines with harvest abound.  My antique blanket keeper holds some ceramic pumpkins and my stable on this piece of furniture, an older farming couple with harvest and shovel in hand.  They stand in front of a very old frame and print of two peasant farmers out in the soil praying over their coming crop, standing near a wheelbarrow of potatoes to be planted or maybe they have been harvested also.  It is very special to me as it was my mother in laws.  There is a fall quilt covering the coffee table and a bright yellow tray with ceramic pumpkins and a candle on sitting in the center of the table.  The tv cabinet has one pumpkin on .  My kitchen and dining have fall things also as do the bedrooms and bathrooms.  The study even has some to help celebrate this season.

And celebrate we do, as this fall season holds such wonderful festivals in our area, and at home.  We harvest the last of things and dig and till and clean up, getting ready for a rest season and a clear start to next year.  Today I also took out the tomato and pepper plants, cucumbers also.  All are finished.  Only the sweet potatoes need to be dug yet.  Left are pretty sunflowers and zinnas to brighten the day.  The color is so enjoyable, rich and varied.  The sunflowers are bowing and turning with the sun, almost as if they were smiling and watching the day go by.

So all this preparing and decorating.  I enjoy fall decor as I leave it up from September through November.  I don't tire of the colors and the peacefulness of it all. 

The funny part is as I talked to Daisy on our walk, I recall saying, "It is so hot and humid, surely fall is coming soon.  I have decorated and am ready a little ahead of time, but am some tired of this humidity as it does a number on my asthma.  How silly to think that by some magical willing, that this one country woman can summon up the fall season and weather.  I may be ready, but it all depends on GOD.  I ceased to remember how very thankful I am to live in an area that has four different, changing seasons, of which I enjoy each and every one.  I ceased to remember that I cannot change GOD's timing.  I can just enjoy each day HE gives and feel blessed. 

So I feel blessed with the heat of today, and GOD willing, with the coolness of fall and golden and red leaves, and less yard work, and much time to celebrate the harvest and share with family and friends. 

Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter....are all blessings to be adored as GOD decorates our world during each.   Enjoy the change of the season ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment