Sunday, August 24, 2014

Titles.......


This week I was asked if I would be interested in a Master Gardener Club.  The key word here is "club", as I was thinking, oh, I have thought a time or two of doing that, but maybe I should do it now as I am retired and Roy is done with his chemo.  So I responded that I would be interested.  I looked at the names of some of the people who responded and thought of others who I know in the area who have taken the class.  How fun would it be to be in a class with these ladies.  Yes, I responded that I would.  Then the key word came up...."club", and one sentence reply, " you are thinking of the class, and you cannot be in our club if you have not taken the class!"  

Okay, so I don't fit the makings of this club.  Okay, I have not had the class yet.  I know it is a good class that the university extension office teaches and have even met one of the instructors.  I have friends other places who have taken the class....and this is a little hostility here....and they use the class....planting and growing and canning. 

I spent some time outside working on my flowerbeds, deadheading my daisies and picking the dead heads from my petunias which are flourishing so pink and pretty in my antique wheelbarrel.  I have pretty red petunia in a log planter (log sawed in half the long way which my husband did for me).  They look so nice and the reflection of the entire thing in the pond makes for great pictures.  Then I checked my honeysuckle which is blooming again and growing large and even into the tree it is near.  It smells and looks wonderful and adds a great touch next to the shed.  My sunflowers tower over everything and shine so pretty almost as if they smile at me.  They look pretty with pumpkins growing beneath them in my wonderful garden of produce we have eaten, froze, canned, and shared with many this year.  I walked over to check on my fruit, and yes, my second peach tree is ready to pick.  Two apple trees just not ready yet and a third is always later.  After stopping to see my wonderful perriwinkle color mammoth morning glories (seed is heritage from Baker Seed Company), and marveled at their size, my thought was that they sure do look petty on that vintage screen door we stood on end with posts and used as a trellis.  What an easy way to display them and it was an auction find for $5.00.  It goes with my other decor in the edge of the garden, a garden chair made by my grandson, James, and also a suncatcher wine bottle tree made by my husband.  All make for pretty pictures also.  But I was not done, I picked some zinnas from one of my two patches of mixed hugh blooms and walked over th admire my pampus grasses, and sedums and black-eyed Susans, cactus, and mums  beginning to bloom.  Before going in, I nipped off some basil from my herb bed and a little rosemary.  It is always fun to tie and dry by the kitchen window.  It can be used as gifts also.

So, maybe I would have liked the club and maybe I will do the class, but really, just really, what is in a title anyway.   If I want to go to the class sometime, I know I can and will, but i won't be for the title and belonging to something "special", as I already do.  You see I belong to that group of country women who actually do garden, can, grow, try new things, have fruit trees, use and share the produce and treasure looking at it all and enjoying the process of the growth.......

Oh, I forgot, I have a potato patch also in my old horse paddock.  The soil is rich and loose and my, what wonderful red potatoes we have had to eat and share.  Actually have a wash tub of them now stored in our basement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment