Friday, October 16, 2015

QUILTING TO LEARN.....


I just finished a red/cream four patch quilt.  I used the front piecing just for relaxing and enjoying the process of quilting.  I also used the fill/backing from my old but good condition mattress pad from my king size bed.  I switched to a full size bed in my sewing room which is also a bedroom.  It just gives me more room to work around.  However, I did miss the size of the bed when I was laying out the quilt to check things on it.  One always gives up something to gain in another area it seems.  It seemed frugal to me to use this mattress pad and it really turned out looking nice.  Plus, I got it out of the storage area of stuff to use again sometime.

This spring I was able to purchase a nice quilting sewing machine, which has the free motion.  I had used it to make a few smaller things, in order to learn how it works, plus practice does make things a bit more perfect.  Of course, I realize everything one makes has some flaw as that is life, and things do not have to be perfect.  It is nice to do the best you can.  I made one other quilt, a brick pattern, and machine quilted it.  This newest project was laid out differently and it made it easier to challenge myself to a better quilting pattern of loops and circles.  I enjoyed doing it and learning as even this 67 year old has lots to learn.  My finished product is wonderful and I must say, my machine and I did a good job.  I still have to embroider my name, Bible verse, and date on my quilt, but here is a photo of it hanging on the clothes line in my rural northeast Missouri home.

No comments:

Post a Comment