Friday, October 16, 2015

Crafting Clothing


Recently I purchased a wonderful book that shows styles of simply sewn clothing, and it has the patterns in a back pouch that you can trace and cut out of tissue paper.  You can make many different items from the same simple dress, blouse, pants and jacket patterns by changing the fabric, colors and just a few things, like ties, sleeves and length.  I have enjoyed making one dress from a soft blue/black pattern of flannel.  It is a tunic dress with elbow length sleeves and a rounded neck line.  I can wear it with nylons, leggings and even pants under it.  It can wear it with flats, heels (I don't own any), or boots.  I can add scarfs, jewelry or a shawl.  This is a good fit for me.

Now I have cut out two blouses and also another dress.  The blouses are red print and then a soft earthy paisley print.  Both can be dressed up or made casual by what you wear them with.  My dress is a black/grey check flannel and I will make long sleeves on this dress.  I am excited to do some clothing sewing that meets my taste and lets me create my wardrobe.  Check out some sewing books, there are many out there, mostly oriental origin.  

It is again fun for me to sew clothing, not just do quilting. My daughters have checked out these books and also say there are things they would sew for themselves or their daughters.  The books give you instructions, different size patterns and ideas for fabric.  Go ahead, start to create for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment