Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Always Country Katie and Daisy Mae

Always Country Katie and Daisy Mae

August 25, 2015, I had to take Daisy Mae, my best friend, into our vet.  In the past four to six months she has gotten progressively more aggressive.  She would not let Roy take off her collar at night and she growled at people who sat next to her.  She was aggressive to our three little elderly doxies, ages 12, 12, and 13.  They did not have to be eating something, taking her spot, really no excuse.  Last night after our dinner, she chased Matilda, age 12, long haired doxie, in the dining room for no reason.  She just simply attacked her.  She was biting her and then had Matilda shaking her like she would a rabbit or squirrel.  About four to six months ago she started killing the rabbits that got into our large fenced in backyard.  She killed one almost daily for some time.  I was concerned that she may try to do something with the dogs, or neighbors cat that comes to visit.  I asked my husband to see about putting up some chicken wire around the lower part of the fence, but he never got at it.  Now, I could have done it myself.  But, not to be angry or blame game, Daisy Mae Foxhound was that, a hound and a hunter.  I don't know why she changed but she did.  

So this morning I had my best friend, Daisy Mae Foxhound put down.  Yes, a hard but right decision.  My vet and I discussed it before she did it and she was proud that I made the decision I did and not take her to the animal shelter so she could go out to a family with pets or small children.  She reminded me that Daisy was my friend and I was her friend and we had 3 1/2 years of good life together.  She was my "glamping" partner, and right now I am not sure I will continue to camp.  But I will give it some time.  Yes, I have my three doxies, but Daisy Mae and I were very close , and she was probably the best and most special dog I ever had.  I will carry her in my memory.  I believe dogs do not go to heaven, but her memory will always go with me.  As I sat in my camper today and cried hard and long, I will give it some time to work through, not past.  I do not want to pass on Daisy. ....my best friend forever....and when I write on my blog, Country Katie and Daisy Mae, I will always be thinking of her.  I do not plan to change my blog name.  I had to make a tough choice today about my friend, but I do not have to erase her from my life.  So for now, this saddened Country Katie and my sweet memories of Daisy Mae will sign off.  Thanks for listening, especially all you dog owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment