Wednesday, January 14, 2015

New and Old.....locally, of course...

Vintage is part of my life.  I like vintage clothing, vintage home style and vintage magazines.  I enjoy books set in vintage times.  I am a big fan of Downton Abbey and enjoy the decor and manners and the dress.  I also enjoy the countryside.  I enjoy the upstairs and downstairs people of this program.  Real life in north east Missouri holds it vintage but also its new.  Both can be good.

So many people in my county are about the old ways, the good old days, and if good enough for my dad, then good enough for you, and of course, what I call the "good old boy" symdrome.  I must admit as much as I enjoy vintage, this symdrome often holds our county and people behind.  In turn, to be fair, I see some change (some of it good of course).

Most of the change I see is in the women and even the men of those women who are starting to speak up and be involved in things.  I am proud of some of the women who are organizing things like a class of Master Gardener, and those who have decided to run for offices and speak up at school meetings, etc.  I also am proud of the fact that women in my county are seemingly becoming more accepting of outsiders, people who are coming to this county with their families for the farm land and rural life.  The land is not cheap, and it is a hard county to break into as an outsider.  Heavens, they considered me an outsider and I was from Wisconsin.  Now we have neighbors who purchased the farm next to us, and they came from South Africa.  How interesting to meet and get to know these new neighbors....taking pies and exchanging stories and interests and cookies and coffee.  Of course, as an in country out of county outsider I can understand a little what they face.  I am also proud of a few of the farmers, including the man who does our crop fields for us, who have gotten to know these people and find common interests in agriculture, learning from each other.

As I am now considering taking this master gardener class with some of the local women, I am hoping to see and be part of the changing times in my little part of the world.
All the time I cannot help but think how much we have to learn from one another.  From the old, vintage stuff and the new things, even technology.  Yes, I do enjoy my computer and other outreach items.  After all, I am in rural area and need some outlet to the rest of our wonderful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment