Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Common Interests

As a country woman, I do keep busy, even in the winter when outside chores are not calling me so much.  In all the things I have to do and things I enjoy doing, which also may be things I have to do, well, it is a gift to find others that have common interests.

Many communities have book discussion groups at their local libraries.  They are free, entertaining and a great way to meet new people (with the like interest of reading).  I can tell you from belonging to one for over three years, that when I read for my group, I read more carefully as I know that I have to discuss it with other, every avid readers who have also read and taken notes.  One lady in the group may like the book and  everyone else may just detest it, but we still discuss "why".  Try out a group if you have one, usually no cost, and you don't have to commit to coming again.  

My community is blessed with a ladies' group that meets once a month, eating, talking, planning to do things for the community.  They even have club night auctions to raise money for projects.  They plant flowers in the community barrels around the little local town.  They also work on project prom and give a yearly scholarship to a local high school graduate who qualifies.  This past year they branched out and finally included the many homeschool graduates in the area.  The young man selected by the group is well known to me, he is my grandson.  He had 26 college credits already done when he graduated from high school.  Way to go.  I, however, have not belonged to the group for about a year now, so had no input into giving him the scholarship (disclaimer).

Communities may get together for classes as my community is doing this late winter with a Master Gardener Class through our local county extension office.  It is a way to get together with people of like interest and learn together and from each other.  

There are knitting groups and other study groups, quilting groups.  So many things to do.  I even recently heard of a baking group.  Now our community is small, so for those of you in larger population.....check it out, read information online or in the local paper or at the library bulletin board.  It will surprise you how much "common interest" things are out there for you to do.  Well, excuse me,  as I am checking out going to a writer's group in town, but not today as it is -2.

No comments:

Post a Comment