Friday, January 2, 2015

Kindness in our Words

Over the holidays I noted that many people get so rude about their likes and dislikes about things.  It was almost as bad on my facebook page as during elections.  I am not sure what brings this out in people other then wanting it to be their way.  It just is not attractive.  So when I got to looking at it, and discussing some issues with my son, well, he pointed out that it may be how the person receives things due to what they are going through at the time, how they are feeling about life.  Well, this was an eye opener to this retired counselor.  I knew this, of course, but he gave me an example of a comment I had made about one of "his" posts, and at the time he was really irritated at me for it.  So he took this opportunity to discuss it with me.  He said he looked at the post and my response and realized later that I was expressing my opinion and not putting his opinion down.  

This does give us all pause to think about our words for sure.  I don't want to bring people down, even if I am discussing something they don't agree with.  I am sure I can do it in a nice way and show kindness with my words.  Words do hurt.

To instill this topic even more, I really registered with a new advertisement board on the highway going to town yesterday.  It is in black and white, which I like and always catches my eye.  But it was a drawing of a woman with words written all over her, and the sign read......Words Do Hurt.   I was being told something from each way I turned, from my own thoughts, to my conversation with my son, and now this sign.  

So,  as words can hurt, I know I must rethink what and when I say something, especially something that others feel strongly about.  Timing is important.  Also the words and attitude when saying them.  Written words can also reflect your attitude, words like "hate".  I have currently been upset with a woman I know just being hateful as she used the word hate over and over about Christmas decor other people used.  This made me realize again that none of us are perfect, and when we begin to think we are, we start looking down on others and become critical if they are not like us.  Maybe people who use certain Christmas decor have not arrived in this woman's thoughts, but just maybe they have and she needs to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment