Wednesday, August 29, 2018




Peach Jam.....so good.

Fresh from our orchard, peaches, so sweet and lovely that when I made pie, I did not have to use any sugar.  No sugar at all, just some butter and spices.  So delicious.  I also made a peach upside down cake which was so tasty, but had to use brown sugar for the topping, and some sugar in the cake part.  

Now when it comes to jam.  It takes lots of work to clean and cut all the peaches needed, however only four cups for each batch I made.  I cut them small but then placed them in the kettle and squashed them some also with my potato masher.  While cooking and stirring and stirring some more, I had time to think and remember my dear sweet Grandma Clara who passed away in 1988.  That is 30 years, yes, but such great time always remembering how she made jams and jellies in this very kettle that I now have.  I also use the funnel and dipper to fill the jars that she used.  I helped her at times make jams and jellies, always wearing an apron.  Honestly, I even have the last apron she sewed before getting too ill with her cancer to sew any longer.  All of this makes my day and work more special.  Memories cannot be purchased nor can my jam.  It does not even compare to the best jam out there.  That is no exaggeration or brag.....it just is.  Today my husband took a small jar in to a friend at his coffee group.  You would have thought we gave him gold.  He knew what he was getting and felt very privileged to receive it.


No comments:

Post a Comment