Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Is It Easy Being Green?


Today, April 15, may not be a great day for those who procrastinated on getting their taxes done.  I am sorry for you.  As I had mine done early, not because I get a great refund, actually no refund, because we pay quarterly as farmers/business.  Anyway, is it easy being green when it comes to taxes (money), maybe not.  Kermit the Frog says it is not easy being green.  As I was walking my Daisy Mae Foxhound today I was wondering how easy it is for the grass, shrubs and trees to be green.  They do it every year, and I, for one, am so very thankful.  Even my strawberries are green and wonderful looking.  Actually, they are blooming.  My rhubarb has had one picking as of today.  The lawn has been mowed three times.   I am sure these plants go through lots of transformation to become green again.  I am so thankful.

Today I took out of the freezer my last package of homegrown strawberries.  Yes, from the patch mentioned above.  I also pulled some of the first rhubarb for the season.  I have two large plants and they are now five years old.  I was told the first three years not to use them.  It was so hard as they looked so nice.  I am glad that I did as told, as now, well, they look even nicer.  At this moment I have two strawberry/rhubarb pies in the oven.  One will be for us and one will go to our neighbors from South Africa.  Actually I am not sure if they have rhubarb there, so it will be something different for them to try.  Jonika makes us traditional things from South Africa, which is interesting for us to try also.  

Is it easy being green?  Even if it is not.  Thank you trees, shrubs, plants, even wildflowers.  We are blessed with green.  Spring time is grand, even if you have to pay your taxes today because you waited until the deadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment