Friday, January 10, 2014

Rain in Janurary


This late morning as my husband and I were sitting in our living room talking and visiting about my two college classes I have started to audit at Hannibal LaGrange University, where I graduated some years ago, wow, the wonderful sound of thunder and then a downpour.  It took away lots of the snow, and of course, the weather is warmer, and it freshened up our outdoors some.  I was able to go clean off the back patio and stand back and see how fresh a good rain, even in Janurary works for us.  However, like everything else, people like to complain.  So when I opened up on facebook today, my church page, I was just disappointed at so many people just not appreciated what we are given from GOD, nature, or what/whoever, you wantto credit.  I credit GOD.  But many just like complaints, not seeing that it makes their days sad and long and tiring.  Maybe that is why at age "almost 66" (in April), I still feel happy and rejoice in new days and what new things there will be in that day.  It is all about attitude.  Frankly, I feel sad for those with those "stinking" attitudes.

My day in rural Missouri has been mostly indoors, which is something I don't do often, but with the cold we have had and the rain today,it is time to reflect plus do things that need to be done inside.  I took to doing a little cleaning and then went on to do some book searching.  With my new college classes comes a renewed enjoyment of all the old old books we have from my husband's grandfather, who was a  lawyer and judge in our state years ago. He had such a wonderful collection of books, sets of leather bond Edgar Allen Poe and the Spectator, Addison papers, plus a set of Theodore Roosevelt's about the west, and on of Mark Twain's writings.  What I was looking for were some old plays which I did not find, not the ones I wanted, but I found other exciting things.  Some old autograph books....years ago people used to get autographs, well wishes and prose/poetry in little bound books from classmates.  I even found a prose/poetry book and an old McGuffey reader with wonderful prose/poetry in it.  A little red/black covered prayer book was fun to leaf through also.  All are in delicate shape and I felt special just being able to touch and turn some of the pages and do some special reading in them today.

The rainy day gave me a blessing of searching treasures from the past that are located right in my own home.  Yes, we also have the hugh walnut bookcase / secretary that used to stand in Rueben Roy's law office so many years ago.  In it I found a lovely little book that I have seen before but never paid the attention I should have to it.  It was not just my husband's grandfathers.  It was that grandfather's grandfathers...wow, Roy's great great grandfathers book.....date 1803.  Now that is something to just hold and cherish.  I cannot help but feel some of the past in just holding these items.

Cold rainy Janurary days and being interested in life, no complaining but rejoicing in each day we have make for a wonder of gifts....we just have to look for them.  So enjoy the rest of the winter months, rain, shine, snow or sleet....we will get through them.  It is just a matter of how your days and my days compare.  As for me, I know I will be on a treasure hunt of life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment